Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Bear Lake 8 Mile Swim

So time to get everyone semi updated with our weekend getaways. We got the great idea of swimming: tag team, with a kayak 8 miles across bear lake. We arrived late that night and got some grub at a local resturant in garden city. When they heard what we were doing the following day, they strongly advised us not to. The water was 54 degrees.... brrr. Well we still went ahead with our plan,( we could always bail if it got too cold). So Sat morning we get up after camping out in the church parking lot, put on our wetsuits and began the SWIM. Scott went first. He caked on the vasoline, on his hands, feet and face to help insulate. I kayked next to him, admiring the gorgeous view. The water was absolutely gorgeous, an aqua color. After about an hour half. It was my turn. I was not too excited, i HATE the cold!! I put on the vasoline too, and began to swim. WOW it was soooo cold! At first i could not even put my face in! Finally i began to swim freestyle with an occasional break on my back with back stroke to thaw out my face. I lasted about an hour and half and was more than ready to get out! Scott got back in and finished us to the end!! 8 miles complete!! We did it in about 3 hrs and 40 min. Well, not like swimming that 8 miles was not enough, we wanted to bike 50 miles around bear lake. It was very hot and the vasoline, kept the bugs on the face and lead to sunburn. What a fabulous day!!......

2 comments:

janelle stubbs said...

holy cow! you two are waaaay die hards!! but that's cool that you both like to do that stuff. perfect pair :) i miss you tons!

Josh said...

Nice job! I'm keeping an unofficial list of Bear Lake crossings that I will eventually post online. I will add your relay swim to it.

I am hoping to get some people together to do a relay swim across the length of Bear Lake next year if you guys are interested.