Thursday, July 8, 2010

4th of july weekend

So Scott and I decided to go to Flaming Gorge for the weekend. We headed out early Sat morning and got there around 9:00am. What a beautiful day, the sun was out, and it was hot, just the way i like it. We put all our food and gear in two 30 gallon drybags. We then kayaked 7 miles to the large island to camp. We set up camp at the top of the island and enjoyed the view and some powdered soup with cold water(because scott left the stove and matches on the counter!). Then it was time to swim. We decided on a rock area to swim too. Scott was first and did great, swam for about 1 hr and 40 min, about 3.5 to 4 miles. Then i did the same, the water temp was much better than bear lake, about 67 degrees, so vasoline was not needed, but still a wetsuit!! It was so much fun, we have our water proof head phones with ipod set, so we get to jam and swim. The water was more rough, alot of waves. We actually enjoyed the waves. After our swim, we realized we had lots of amazed spectators. They were impressed that we both swam that far. One family was nice and offered two fillets of trout. We had to borrow a lighter as well, but dinner was so tasty. We had a mountain house jamaican chicken and rice, with the freshly cooked fish. We were pretty tired so we went to bed early. Late that night a storm came, rain started to hit my face, so Scott quicky set up the rain guard. When he lifted up a rock to weigh the tarp down, he found a scorpion and that startled him! That morning, was a little chilly and gloomy, but we wanted to swim to the DAM. Well Scott Started and after 45 min lightning struck.. yikes. so we pulled the kayak on a tree and hid under a rock. After 40 min the storm died down.So Scott started swimming again, about 20 min later, the storm came even worse. We decided to high tail it back to the island. We kayaked so fast, but made it just in time. It was pouring and the temp was dropping. Another family let us hang with them for a bit to stay dry. We than decided to go back to the marina when the storm let up, because it would be bad all day. Fortunatley one of our "biggest fans" who saw us swimming the day before offered to shuttle us back. Wahoo!!! So bk home we go!! What another great trip!!!

1 comment:

The life of a Triathlete said...

Nice job at the Scofield Triathalon. See you guys at Utah half!